Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 2:14 PM
Subject: Re: You are naive (was Re: [Futurework] Walmart and the American dream

Bravo Harry,

Very elegantly put.   Now for a couple of things.   "Simple" is an interesting word.    Would you not not agree that  "simple" for Horowitz (on the piano) is not the same as "simple" for Liebowitz (the writer) even though their names are similar?    Complexity always depends upon competance and simplicity is what has become "natural" to the person i.e. "walking" is simple to an adult who is healthy and complicated to a person who has had a knee injury or to the child just learning to stand.

The second part has to do with cooperation.   Just as there are levels of competance i.e. complexity, for individuals, so are there levels of competance for groups.   The group that has the highest level of competance and the lowest complexity level is the most successful, would you not agree?    So what seems almost casual in your comments is really a lot more interesting than that in reality.   Does not the future of work depend upon such expertise in analysis as systematically exploring what you are describing in a more deep and layered fashion?

And finally are not the "simplicities" of science based upon predictability?    In the end, does not science accept a certain degree of sloppiness if it "works"?     Is not the problem for science, the necessity of experimentation for the purpose of nailing down "predictability?"    As a result do you not need a certain number of "smallpox" experiments to know if the vaccine works or not? (or on the extreme you have the experiments of Mengele with the twins.)   That is my problem with "social" experiments like economic systems that have been put in place based upon theory but with inadaquate "checks and balances" to assure the "guinea pigs" that they can still survive and even be happy should it fail or need "tweaking."     Mengele assumed Jews and Gypsies were "guinea pigs" and that simply burning them rather than "using" them for science was a waste.   Today our economists ruin individual and professional lives in the service of market theories for the "greater good" in "Mengele" like experiments that require that their lobbying representitives be impotent for the "experiments" to work.   Why else would everyone be so anti-labor union in such situations?   Personally I have both belonged to and been abused by labor unions but they are a part of the system that checks and balances the abuse of individual workers by other groups i.e. the wealthy share holders.

So for me it ultimately comes down to competance and the lowering of complexity through the raising of the competance of indivduals and groups.   Simplicity then becomes "elegant balance" and not just the most "stupid solution" possible.
REH