From: Harry Pollard [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 8:51 PM
To: 'Ed Weick'; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Re: [Futurework] Fw: All the President's votes? [long;
important]

Ed,

Catching up after completely changing my E-Mail set-up.

After bringing me up-to-date on Canadian politics, you said:

">I've snipped the rest of your posting because I'm still hoping
to wake
>up to find that the election of Ahnold Schwarzenegger was some
kind of
>comic dream!  If it isn't, all one can say is the people deserve
the
>kind of government they elect."

I think your remark about Schwarzenegger is an indication that we
have elevated politicians into a kind of nobility. The Lords and
Ladies knew they were born to the purple. That the commoners were
not only a class apart but also somewhat inferior. Certainly, not
material for the upperclass.

I think that a similar attitude has led to the sneering at Arnold
even as Ronald was sneered at in his time. They were not
politicians, so how can they aspire to the role of leading the
country -- or even a State?

A favorite painting of mine is hung somewhere in Capitol building
(I think). It is a picture of George Washington handing back his
letters of commission to Congress. He had completed the job of
throwing out the English, and was now going home.

I wish politicians would think in terms of going home. As it is,
they like to stay in power forever. Al Gore finished college, did
a short stint in Vietnam, spent a year in divinity school, and in
his late twenties went to Congress. That's where he spent his
time until he was defeated by Bush.

He is without doubt the professional politician. We don't really
elect people to represent us. Rather, they elect themselves and
quite right  for who could possibly do the job better than they.
People like Reagan and Schwarzenegger, not to mention Jesse
Ventura, are interlopers.

They shouldn't be allowed to into the Halls of the Godly.