Thanks, Karen.  I spent a month in Russia during its most chaotic period in the 1990s.  Nothing seemed to be going right, and Yeltsin was believed to be stuck in a perpetual vodka oblivion.  Yet what I think Yeltsin quietly knew was that while he couldn't control the situation, he had to find someone who could.  I was as baffled as anyone when Putin (Vladimir who?) appeared on the scene - baffled until I thought about his KGB credentials.  It has taken Putin a few years to build up the kind of underground, behind the scenes network that is needed to exercise control in Russia, but he seems to have pulled it off.

It's still a little difficult to say where Russia might be heading, but I think the trade-off may be between freedom and stability.  The kinds of freedoms enjoyed by the oligarchs, the "mafia", and other bucaneer entrepreneurs, and even ordinary people, will be curtailed, but the stability of day to day life, in the sense that tomorrow will be much the same as today, only a little better, will increase.   If this is where Russia is going, most Russians will welcome it.

Ed
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2003 3:53 PM
Subject: RE: [Futurework] Article on Khodorkovsky

Ed, the CSM agrees with you.

Kremlin’s corporate seizure a war of elites @ http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/1031/p01s03-woeu.html

“Until now, Putin has apparently kept the two conflicting Kremlin clans in check by playing one off the other. But the likely departure of Putin's chief of staff, Alexander Voloshin, is being seen as a symbol of the new power shift - and a warning to business. Voloshin - a main Kremlin advocate of big business - is a former Yeltsin aide known as the "Gray Cardinal" for his master-of-intrigue influence. He played a critical role in bringing Putin to power.

Dmitri Orlov, deputy head of Moscow's Center for Political Technologies, predicts that "the authoritarian nature of the current regime will increase ... and expansion of the siloviki will have negative consequences for the whole of civil society and the political future of the country.

"The problem is that, being aggressive as they are, and expanding quickly, this group has no positive program," says Mr. Orlov. "It's clear a change of elites is taking place at the top, but what is their message? Let it be a totalitarian program, but it should be clear. It can't just be power for power's sake."

Critics of the growing power of the siloviki faction, including many in Russia's print media, charge that the informal system of checks and balances that prevailed in the Kremlin until now is crumbling, as the St. Petersburg faction makes its play for more control over Russia's vast natural resources, which in turn means more political power.”

I believe that, constitutionally, Putin has one more term to go but cannot run again in 2008.  I don't think that Putin went after K. on petty political grounds, but on grounds of who runs Russia, the central government or the oligarchs.  I repeat what I've said before: Russia, except at the village level, is not inherently democratic.  There are too many diverse interests and too many nationalities.  When I was there in the mid-nineties, the war against the Chechens was getting all of the attention, but there were several other little regional wars going on at the same time - one of the academics I talked to said as many as twelve.  The central government, whether czarist, communist or Putinist (KGBist?), firmly believes that to control Russia, it has to sit on it hard, very hard, and be extremely wary of any threats to its power.  During the past decade, governments have not been in a position to do the hard sitting, but it now seems that Putin has built up a bureaucracy of former KGBists, well able to do the kind of dirty work that needed to handle threats to his power.  I would be willing to bet that by the time Putin leaves the scene everything will be under control and that his successor will be a Putin clone.

Ed

Dimitri Simes of The Nixon Center was just on CSpan this morning being interviewed on a number of topics covering Russia and confirmed that Khodorkovsky may have political ambitions.  He said that Putin cannot run for reelection next time, the implication is that K. has to be taken out of the competition or become a rehabilitated loyalist who will continue to play Putin’s game.

Simes mentioned that the court imposed prison sentence ended Dec. 31st.   Is that correct?

If it extends beyond that, there would seem to be more politics involved, or Tsarist tendencies, as Keith has suggested, at play.

KWC