Ed.

It comes from my having two separate (and disparate) periods of university education 20 years apart, attempting to understand what was different with the system; watching students learn the "system of testing" so they could study for the test and not wholly absorb the material, never contesting why they were being taught things that were in opposition to a living, caring world.

Refer to "Dumbing Us Down" below, which clarified the above for me.

----- Original Message -----
From: Ed Weick
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2003 12:48 PM
Subject: Re: [Futurework] Riots in Riyadh?

Darryl:

Any authoritarian government or ruling body automatically attempts to corrupt learning; to sway or brainwash the populace to their desired ends of control. Ray has often bemoaned the lack of the Arts in the N.A. school system (with which I concur) and , as Harry pointed out through "Gatto" (thank you Harry), the desire of the school system is to create a society of worker bees who do exactly as they are told and (I will add) through the aspect of "team sports" will learn the idea of "nationalist fervour" to the point of dying when you are told (war). It is far easier to control an ignorant populace than an intelligent one. NOTE: I did not say educated as "intelligence" and "education" do not appear compatible in today's lexicon.
See below.

I really don't know where this comes from.  I've met and talked with social scientists who were educated in the Soviet Union and have an enormous respect for both their intelligence and their level of education.

I too have enormous respect for my intelligence. Anyone who has a post-secondary education does, but I tend to attribute my own intelligence to curiosity and a desire to know why certain things are as they are or how they came to be and how they might be made better without altering that which the Creator gave us--rather than giving the credit to the system.

As for our own education system, it may have suffered from cut backs and may not be as good as it could be, but it still produces some outstanding thinkers

There will always be a few, but could there be more? And what direction are those few "outstanding thinkers" taking?

As for education, please note the following from a prior posting.