Following that last little ‘poison pen’ mention of the Bush2 global-corporate policy – Ooops! - I meant to say global foreign policy, here’s another example of cronyism.  We already have a surplus of suspicion about US preemptive policy and governing agendas.  Shouldn’t the laws of supply and demand begin to apply soon?

As some of you no doubt have read, the second phase of reconstruction contracts for Iraq will not favor just a few big bucks friends of the BC 04 campaign; however, mischief is afoot as ‘Friends of Dubya’ sneak preferential treatment into omnibus legislation, as below, for Trick or Treat:

Amendment to Spending Bill Questioned

By Christopher Lee, Washington Post Staff Writer, Wednesday, November 5, 2003

Two Senate GOP allies of President Bush recently inserted a provision into a spending bill that critics say contradicts the president's stated goal of making government more efficient through his "competitive sourcing" initiative.

Republican Sens. Craig Thomas (Wyo.) and George V. Voinovich (Ohio) sponsored the amendment during the Oct. 23 floor debate on the $90 billion spending bill for the departments of Transportation and the Treasury. The measure appeared to be an effort to promote accountability and transparency under the controversial Bush initiative, which requires hundreds of thousands of federal employees to prove they can do their jobs more efficiently than private contractors, or risk seeing the work outsourced.

But one paragraph -- unnoticed at the time because the full text of the amendment was unavailable, even as lawmakers were debating it -- requires that job competitions involving architectural and engineering services be governed by a process that emphasizes selection based on technical merits, not cost. The amendment passed 95 to 1. The House version of the bill does not contain similar language.

Critics say choosing a winner first and negotiating a price later is not a recipe for increased efficiency. They note that the Office of Management and Budget rejected such language this spring in revising the rules for such competitions. And they complain that neither Thomas nor Voinovich mentioned the controversial provision during the floor debate, even though Sen. Barbara A. Mikulski (D-Md.) sought a full accounting of what was in it.

"This deal for specific contractors is cronyism," Mikulski said in a statement yesterday, adding that she will work to remove it in a House-Senate conference. "It does the opposite of what I'm trying to do -- make sure federal employees get a fair competition."

John Gage, president of the American Federation of Government Employees, decried the "disingenuous tactics" to benefit "politically connected contractors."

Scott Milburn, a spokesman for Voinovich, referred calls about the provision to Thomas's office, which did not respond yesterday.  "In general, what I can say is that this bill was brought to the floor at the last minute…And if there are any modifications that need to be made as a result, then Senator Voinovich certainly will support making those modifications in conference," Milburn said.

David Raymond, president of the American Council of Engineering Companies, said the provision echoes a 31-year-old federal procurement law that requires government projects to be designed and engineered properly, so more money would not be necessary later to fix them.

You’d think the only reliable contractors in the whole country are Bechtel, Halliburton and Kellogg, Brown & Root.  Did I post that article suggesting that if the totals for private contractor personnel doing business in Iraq were tallied it would likely surpass the number of UK troops?  So our largest coalition force would be war profiteers?  How could that possibly, possibly be?  And aren’t you glad I’m drinking organic tea and not espresso?  - KWC