Bob,

Very interesting.

Thanks!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Robert
E. Bowd
Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2003 5:54 AM
To: Harry Pollard; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Futurework] American schooling... was
'Clarification'...

Harry,

Assuming that you are thinking in terms of instrumental
knowledge, I suppose I can use the recent TIMMS (1999) (Third
International Mathematics and Science Study of 8th graders) to
suggest an answer to your question.  TIMMS measures the kind of
technical knowledge (mathematics and science) so valued by
contemporatry capitalists in the new economy and the OECD.  On
those tests Canada outperforms the United States in both math and
science.

I will not get into the validity of this kind of measurement
madness as an indicator of education versus schooling - a vital
difference.

I would also argue that Canada outperforms the United States on a
number of alternative measures of the social quality of life,
such as access to health care.  Recently I looked at an
international scale ranking countries on the prevalence of
instutional corrpution and fraud.  Canada ranked 11th in the
world.  The Unitied States ranked in the 50th per centiles.

For your interest, I will post the TIMMS results below your post.

Enjoy your day.

Bob