I don't usually comment much on the whole arabs, oil and ideological
antagonism thing, because I don't know a lot about it and have even fewer
opinions, but I've had a few passing thoughts lately that I thought
I'd toss out, for what they're worth. First, after the stories coming
out of Saudi Arabia from the foreign nationals held there, it seems
the government has few ethical limits to its behaviour. So, looking
at the most recent violent attacks in that country, which targetted
locals, and foreign islamics, including children, I have to ask,
who is most likely to benefit from this, and the answer seems to
be inarguably, the Saudi government, which is already reaping those
benefits from citizens outraged by the supposed Al Quaeda attacks.
Well, I let you imagine the inference I draw from this line of thinking.

The next point is about Bush and his reelection. I have said here
that I expected there would suddenly appear a new urgent target
for the american military conveniently just before the election,
but I have heard an alternative possibility from an american who
believes that this trick may have been tried too many times to
work again. Rather, he suggests that the continued liberty of
bin Laden and Hussein are not so much due to their cleverness,
but rather the restraint of american agents tracking their locations,
who will only move at the politically opportune time in the weeks
before the election. Well, we'll see, I guess.

     -Pete