From: Ed Weick
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 3:00 PM
Subject: Re: [Futurework] Critical Assumptions

Literature and the arts, writers and artists, help us to see ourselves.  Art is our mirror.

Art is central to society’s existence so that we can reimagine who we are and what we want to be or not to be.

KWC

Yes, a lot of art is like that. But I see art as also being a thing of intercession between ourselves and our gods and demons.  Medieval frescos or stained glass are intercessions with our gods; Ginsberg's "Howl", Van Gogh's late paintings and Munch's "Scream" have far more to do with our demons.  In some cases, as in the art of Pre-Columbian Mexico, you are not really sure of what you are dealing with.  God and demon are equally frightening.

Ed

Literature and the arts, writers and artists, help us to see ourselves.  Art is our mirror.

Art is central to society’s existence so that we can reimagine who we are and what we want to be or not to be.

KWC

REH wrote: Thanks for your analysis.

I must give the impression that I put the arts on a one up position but I intended to indicate that they were the roots of all disciplines as they are the developers of the perceptions.   So rather than the top of the tree they are the base.

At the same time the advanced arts share equality with all of the other disciplines.

What is the purpose of the Arts?

KH wrote: I agree with many of your Assumptions and will make some brief comments below.  Before I do this, however, let me very quickly describe my position in contrast to yours. I believe that we should not put the Arts on a pedestal -- as you give the impression that you do. I believe that the Arts, Sciences and Trade are all inter-related, and all are at their peak during particularly vigorous periods of human accomplishment.