To: pete
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 12:33 PM
Subject: Re: Slightly extended (was Re: [Futurework] David Ricardo, Caveman (fwd)

At 09:15 25/11/2003 -0800, Pete wrote:

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Ed Weick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Pete, I am an amatuer at all of this, and you have obviously read more
>than I have.  However, what I don't understand is why, if we had
>essentially modern brains 160kya, did it take us 80,000 to 100,000 years
>to demonstrate that we had those brains.  I'll have to do more reading.

It's all about the rate of accumulation of culture. Newton famously
said if he saw further than most men, it was because he stood on
the shoulders of giants. The giants he refered to are easy to
identify, but in fact there are a cadre of giants whose names
are lost in prehistory, to whom we all owe a great debt for
the life we live. It is hard to realize, but such things as
fish hooks, needles and thread, baskets, nets, wooden huts,
and many more, were revolutionary ideas, which had to wait
for someone bright enough to not only conceive of them, and
persist in working on them til they were effective enough to
attract wider adoption, but I think most importantly to realize
that innovation was a possible option, when most of the hardware
which persists in the archaeological record appears to have been
unchanged for _hundreds of thousands_ of years prior. The
frequency of innovations at first must have been so low that
each innovator would be essentially working without any living
example that it was possible, particularly as the social unit
was probably a small band of one to two hundred individuals
at most. It is very much a "critical mass" issue, and was coupled
to the total population size. What ever it was that brought our
population down to 10,000 individuals or less, may have persisted,
limiting population growth and thus the size of the "brain trust".
And as I also mentioned, language and lore had to develop. You
can't have creative technological ideas if you don't have a
cultural milieu which provides the excercise in manipulating
concepts, something which requires a robust vocabulary. All
these things take time, and it's hard to grasp how much time,
when we now learn much more about many aspects of the world
before the age of two than these people would have known at
first as adults.

    -Pete

Brilliantly described. Working backwards from now, if one could plot "standard" innovations (happening today at, say, one a month), they would probably fit on a pretty smooth exponential curve

Keith