On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Arthur Cordell wrote:
> Public goods--something that everyone wants/needs but the market will not
> supply on its own since there are problems with appropriation of benefits.
>
> Polio vaccine, flu vaccine, fire department (except for Harry who seems able
> to save his own house with a garden hose) emergency ambulance (maybe here
> too, Harry can take care of himself)...
> Police (maybe here again Harry  P.  is a member of the NRA and can take care
> of himself)

Indeed, this concept is already being introduced in USA:  The police station
is downsized so people must take care of their safety by their own guns:

Chris

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20031123/ap_on_re_us/gun_mandate_1

U.S. National - AP

Kan. Town Requires Homes to Have Guns

     Sun Nov 23, 5:53 PM ET

GEUDA SPRINGS, Kan. - Residents of this tiny south-central Kansas community
have passed an ordinance requiring most households to have guns and
ammunition.

Noncomplying residents would be fined $10 under the ordinance, passed 3-2
earlier this month by City Council members who thought it would help
protect the town of 210 people. Those who suffer from physical or mental
disabilities, paupers and people who conscientiously oppose firearms would
be exempt.

"This ordinance fulfills the duty to protect by allowing each individual
householder to provide for his or her protection," said Councilman John
Brewer.

"This is simply using the U.S. Constitution - Second Amendment in
particular - to the city of Geuda Springs' advantage."

Geuda Springs has no local police force; the Sumner County Sheriff's
department is responsible for policing the area. Sheriff Gerald Gilkey said
the ordinance makes him concerned for the safety of his officers.

"This throws up red flags," he said.

The town's city attorney, Thomas Herlocker, also opposes the measure, which
has not taken effect because it has yet to be published. He said he plans
to ask the council to reverse itself on the issue. The council meets next
on Dec. 1.

Whitney Watson, a spokesman for Attorney General Phill Kline, declined to
comment on the legality of such an ordinance, which is similar to one
passed in Kennesaw, Ga., 21 years ago that is still in effect.

Many Geuda Springs residents refused to talk about it, and others were
tightlipped, saying outsiders should stay out of it.

"It's nobody's business but our own," said Phillip Russell, who owns a
motorcycle shop in the town. "Everybody out of town is making this their
business."