[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Efficiency trumps just about everything in our economy.
[snip]

I think this hypothesis needs to be "hedged" in important
ways.  I would phrase it something like: eficiency in
direct costs trump[l'oeil???]s just about everything
else regarding the direct object of production.
Example: make the car as cheaply as possible.

However, generally lots of money is spent on
sales costs, golden parachutes, etc.

In my first programming job (1972), for an insurance company
which has since been twice gobbled up, I formulated the
hypothesis:

    The reason this company is not driven out of business
    by price competition is that all its competitors
    do the same stupid things, so they all
    are racing as hard as they can with similar handicaps.

\brad mccormick

--
  Let your light so shine before men,
              that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]