From: Keith Hudson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 4:54 PM
To: Brad McCormick
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Idiosyncracies (was RE: [Futurework] Biography ~ succinctness etc.

At 16:06 09/12/2003 -0500, Brad McCormick wrote:
Quoting Keith Hudson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> If the idea of biographies on FW's site is taken further, then I suggest
>
> that they are restricted to, say, 40 words each, so there's a democratic
>
> element involved for any subscribers who are young and hitherto
> inexperienced or who do not want to parade too many personal details.
>
> What I think is tremendously important is to remember that innovative
> ideas
> nearly always occur to the young mind before it fills up with too much
> junk. So young minds are to be encouraged on FW.

How many could provide a 3 word biography, like Julius Caesar:

    Veni, vidi, vinci.  (I came, I saw, I conquered.)

Youth is not always correlated with innovative thinking.
Immanuel Kant did not write anything of lasting value
until he was over 60 years old --> and then he
revolutionized Western philosophy.

I suppose that's so. Darwin was also quite ancient when he finally spewed out Origins. I'm now allowing my beard to grow as long as Darwin's and maybe my success will follow. Did Kant have any idiosynscracy that I can also adopt?  -- so long as he wasn't a transvestite. Balzac could only write when wearing nightclothes but it's too cold in my office for that. Arnold Bennet and Georges Simenon both said independently that what's important is to write at least half-a-million words a year -- quality will inevitably follow quantity. At one posting a day on average I calculate that I'm falling lamentably short of that. On the other hand, Hardy used to do his writing before breakfast and before starting out on his horse establishing post offices. Well I do write my postings before breakfast and then take my dog for a walk before turning to the sordid business of making money, so that's a reasonable approximation.

As for age being an advantage when writing in the humanities, then perhaps I can discover something new at my age. After all, I'm endeavouring to integrate the whole history (and pre-hisotry) of homo sapiens into my brilliantly innovative view of economics. Perhaps, at 68, I'm too young. Perhaps I ought to postpone the Great Book for another decade or so. Perhaps breeding canaries in my hoped-for olde worlde cottage for a few years will supply that serendipitous idea that will illuminate everything. I will tell the Nobel committee beforehand when the book is immient so they're prepared to move quickly while I'm still alive and before I die of some exotic canary-borne disease.

Keith Hudson

The real problem
with new ideas when you are old (or with getting a Nobel
prize when you're 80...) is that you don't have the
body to go with it or the time to savor and build on it.

In architecture, anybody under 40 is considered
too young to do really serious work.  (I believe in
mathematics it's the reverse, which may just say that
mathematics is not a humanistic discipline.)

"Yours in time...."

\brad mccormick

> Keith Hudson
>

> s At 14:28 09/12/03 -0500, you wrote:
> >yes
> >

><http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/>http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/

  Let your light so shine before men,
              that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

  Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]