Impressively put Bob,   Such agenda driven comments have motivated the skittish conservative Christians to come out and support Republican policies even though those policies harm their own children and cut their salaries.     Thanks,

REH

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2003 8:49 AM
Subject: Re: [Futurework] Coming of age in new times

Keith,

During my Ph.D. residency, in education, I was exposed to a number of visiting scholars from Britain:  Open University, University of Bristol, and so on, so I am a little bit familiar with British education.  As well, I consume in my reading a number of British writers who use British data, as support for their perspectives.

My response to the article you posted was: so what?  It is pretty descriptive and doesn't help me understand very much.  The historical perspective is the last 10 years, and I don't need to cite chapter and verse on the nature of those 10 years in British education.  The greatest travesty, in my view, is the abstraction of those kids in the 40 per cent failure cohort.

I read the article as being written in code, justifying a further assault on public education in Britain.  The target in this case, obliquely, is another assault on the capacity of teachers to be 'objective' in setting standards in their assessment of student's progress, in meeting the needs of the new economy, effectively putting in play a call for the privatization of teacher assessment technologies, thus compromising that most fundamental aspect of teacher professionalism, the assessment of their students.  There are similar pressures in the United States, and as we have often mentioned, Blair's 'third way' is quite sympatico with King George's royal decrees.  The past 10 years, in Britain, have included debates concerning school-based management.  Local governance sounds like a good idea, right?  Well, what's the status of that reform?  How about policy talk to remove educators from managing the schools and replace them with the textbook new professionalism of an MBA graduate.  Again, there are similar pressures in America.

On a side note.  I noticed the article indicated that test results among 11-year olds have been improving.  Blair hired a Canadian academic, Dr. Michael Fullan, Dean of the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education/University of Toronto, to advise his government on assessment and accountability issues.  Given the fact that the numbers [if that's what matters in education] are being ratcheted in a direction that makes professional politicians salivate, it sounds like Michael has had some impact.  I also sense his influence in some of the forthcoming policy initiatives mentioned in the article.  This is not the place for me to speak my critique of Michael's reformist limitations.

Bob