Christoph,

Appendix to previous:

I think the big paradox is that although feelings against consumerism are higher now than ever before (and may be at their maximum now) the trend-setting middle-class people who initiate consumption trends have never been busier or more stressed in their working weeks. They have very little extra time in which to buy, use and display new consumer goods (that is, those that are new, highly desirable but also also require time in which to use them).

I think it is very significant that in America (and England), with low interest rates, and surging productivity, there is no corresponding growth in consumer spending. In my opinion it is not just because the average customer has high credit card debts (though this is true) but because the middle-class professional trend-setting class are not buying any more than before. For the first time in history I think we are seeing a situation where no highly desirable new product is appearing. It is not in demand any more; it is not being supplied any more.

There is very little evidence so far for what I am suggesting. But I think we are at a very significant hiatus just now.

Keith