I've been halfway through Diamond for a little over a year now and must finish it someday, although I don't think I've ever finished a book in my life.  In my view, one reason why hunting and gathering groups attack and destroy each other is that they are motivated by fear of something they cannot really understand.  Competition for resources may be another reason.  There is something of a classic case in Arctic Canada, where the modern Inuit (the so called Thule Culture) replaced the Dorset Culture (Tunit) beginning about a thousand years ago.  From what little I've read, the lifestyles of these two peoples were very different.  The Inuit used dogs, moved about a lot, lived in tents in summer and snow houses in winter.  The Tunit were sedentary, lived in stone houses (or really holes covered by stone roofs), and did not use dogs - they apparently used sleighs that they dragged about themselves.  It would seem that the Inuit pictured the Tunit as some kind of strange and sinister population of giants that posed some form of shadowy, omnipresent threat, and it was therefore necessary to get rid of them, which is what seems to have happened.  As they spread across the Arctic from west to east, the Inuit also needed access to Tunic hunting and sealing areas.  As a distinct culture, the Tunit disappeared about 400 years ago, although a highly resepected anthropologist I once knew told me that the last Tunit he knew of, a woman, died on Southampton Island in the 1920s.

I repeat a point I've made frequently on this list: inter-group or inter-ethnic strife is a very difficult thing to decompose into its elements.  It is far more complex than an envious alpha-male jumping up and down because he wants to wear the same war-paint as the chief in the next valley over and is willing to part with his virgin daughter or kill people to get that paint.

Ed
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 8:54 PM
Subject: RE: [Futurework] My ongoing struggle to see the obvious :: Basic question for economists

I am about one-quarter of the way through Guns, Germs and Steel (The Fate of Human Societies) by Jared Diamond.  So far the picture that seems to emerge is that humans tend to band together and with a murderous rage will defeat the other band if they can.  The stronger culture will defeat/murder/subjugate the weaker culture simply because it can.

Its a sort of Darwinian survival of the strongest (measured in terms of resources, technology , social organization, tactics and strategy)

I don't think its so much about status but about power and control and maybe its natural, the same way that animals in the wild will hunt down and kill sick and injured animals.

I suppose the whole legal system is in place to offset this sort of acitivity....and we are mostly successful in keeping the stronger from defeating/murdering/subjugating the weaker, although I am sure there are some on this list who would disagree.

arthur