On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:36:33PM -0700, Jason Weber wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Dominik Vogt <dominik.v...@gmx.de> wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 06:08:19PM -0700, Jason Weber wrote:
> > [snip]

> >> Yes, at the very end.
> >>
> >> (no touching the mouse)
> >> Meta3-ESC: proxies up
> >> Meta3-M: custom menu with some window ops pops up (proxies still up)
> >
> >> Release Meta3: nothing happens
> >
> > As expected while the keyboard is grabbed.
> >
> >> ESC: proxies and menu disappear
> >>
> >> It's the same results whether or not the menu and proxies window are
> >> in contact.
> >
> > That's good, to make sure however, could you repeat that test but
> > put an fprintf in Loop() that shows which events arrive after the
> > menu is closed?
>
> FvwmProxy ProcessMessage M_STRING "Hide"

Where did this come from?

> FvwmProxy ProcessMessage M_FOCUS_CHANGE

Ah I see.  We need to repeat this test in a way that focus is and
remains on some unrelated window.

Can you print X events too?

> >                              ^^^^^^^^^^^
> > SendToModule

> >> So this means replacing XEvent ButtonPress/etc with an FvwmPacket,
> >> say M_BUTTON or M_POINTER?
> >
> > No, it's already possible to reliable trigger actions in the core
> > when mouse events occur.  We'd just need some notion of key
> > release handling, e.g.
> >
> >  Mouse F1 A SC SendToModule FvwmProxy do_what_i_want
> >
> > Whenever Shift-Control-F1 is pressed, fvwm would send the string
> > "do_what_i_want" over the module pipe to the module in an M_STRING
> > packet.  Look at modules/FvwmButtons/FvwmButtons.c for an example.
> >
> >> If it's better for the core code, I'll be happy to adapt.
> >
> > Maybe something like
> >
> >  WaitForKeyReleased F1 Action
> >
> > Fvwm could keep a list of key and actions it's waiting to be
> > released.  Whenever an event arrives while the list is not empty,
> > fvwm would query the keyboard map and check if any of the keys is
> > not pressed at the moment.  If so, it would remove the entry from
> > the list and execute the action.
>
> It would also need to handle pure modifiers.  We currently have:
>
> *FvwmProxy: Action ModifierRelease S3 SendToModule FvwmProxy Hide
>
> I don't know if key bindings are exclusive, but if not, something like
>
> KeyRelease    *       A       3       SendToModule FvwmProxy Hide
>
> But you know what I'm looking for, so I should be happy with whatever
> syntax is decided upon.

Since we can't rely on noticing if a key is pressed and then
released, I don't think we'll ever make KeyRelease bindings work
reliably.  That's why is suggested different semantics that just
watches specific keys when told so.

> >> I suppose a maxCollisions would be prudent.
> >>
> >> Off the screen issues, that I am aware of.  In really deep, but
> >> vertically short,
> >> stacks of virtual tabs, that does happen.  I've been just rearranging
> >> windows.
> >> My #2 would help, but it could go a step further and actually push away
> >> from
> >> the edges.  With such bounds, it is clearly possible that the collision
> >> check
> >> could be unable to reach False if you simply cram a huge number of windows
> >> on one desk.
> >
> > Well, yes.  Any ideas for a more robust algorithm?
>
> Ideal gas?  In any case, I would cap the procedure to stop at some point
> even it it means not everything is visible and without contact.
> I think that would be an extreme case even if I just did the #2 fix.

> >> Sticky windows have proxies where ever the window would show up.
> >> I have my Circulate calls set to skip over them, but that's preference.
> >> FvwmProxy does honor WindowListSkip, meaning it presumes that you
> >> don't want proxies where you don't want something on a window list.
> >
> >> I'm single page, multi desk (as I understand the terms), so I don't
> >> have a good grip on issues with scrolling desktops but if regular
> >> windows work, proxies should be fine.
> >
> > A desktop is a big area made of one or more pages e.g. 3x2.  A
> > page is always the size of the screen.  The currently visible area
> > of the screen is called the viewport and usually shows a complete
> > page, but may be scrolled smoothly.
>
> Pages are probably good for somebody, but they're not for me.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--

Dominik Vogt