Thomas Adam <tho...@xteddy.org> writes:

> For instance, unless I run
> gnome-settings-daemon, I get to use .mailcap just fine.

You mentioning gnome-settings-daemon reminded me to bring this
up again.

I don't have the old emails but a while back I asked about what it
took to get the pulseaudio daemon running when starting with a
.xinitrc from runlevel 3.

For a while I just started the pulse daemon and some
chmods in /dev/snd to get everything to work.

Then I found that permissions on my USB devices weren't right either.

Then I ran across what I believe was the crux of the problem.
I believe the various flavors of xdm start the WM using
ck-xinit-session.

I no longer have to start pulseaudio from my .xinitrc, but I did
have to put some ugly logic at the front of my .xinitrc:

if [ -f /usr/bin/ck-xinit-session ] ; then
    if [ "$1" = "startsess" ] ; then
        shift
    else
        exec ck-xinit-session /home/dane/.xinitrc startsess
    fi
fi

I start a number of applications from .xinitrc and this seemed like
the simplest way to get everything running inside the environment
created by ck-xinit-session.