On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 01:30:54AM +0200, Daniel Vrcic wrote:
> I had a few lines in my .fvwm2rc that have done exactly the same
> function I would expect to get from that style option and that is to put
> all transient windows on a current viewport (selected/focused page) no
> matter where their parents' windows have been initially placed (there
> are some StartsOnPage and SkipMapping styles applied). Since I didn't
> want to reinvent the wheel, I have applied it to all program styles
> (Style * StartsOnPageIgnoresTransients) and I was surprised that it
> actually hasn't changed anything.

When did you issue this "Style * StartsOnPageIgnoresTransients" style?  Was
it post-mapping of transient windows of afterwards -- i.e, just defined in
your config?

> I read some code and wrote a trivial fix that is attached, but I believe
> that for carrying this completely out, there needs to be decided what is
> actually the default placement policy of transient windows. I suppose

How they're handled now is the default -- and that transient windows are
placed where their parents are.  This to me is the correct behaviour.

Your patch is slightly flawed (I will improve it in due course) as well as
lacking several other meta pieces of data -- you need to read the
doc/DEVELOPERS file.

That, and we're in a feature-freeze anyway, so I can't accept this, as it's
not even a bug-fix.

Please watch this space for my reply -- just don't hound me about it, as I
am very busy.  I will get round to my critique when I can.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"It was the cruelest game I've ever played and it's played inside my head."
-- "Hush The Warmth", Gorky's Zygotic Mynci.