[ Don't cull the Cc list; keep fvwm-workers@ on it, please. ]

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 12:49:47AM +0200, Axel Rohde wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> the issue is that fvwm and Xorg produce
>
>     ~ 100% CPU load
>
> while
>     *trying to resize UNRESIZABLE windows*
> or
>     *trying to move UNMOVABLE windows*
> using the Functions "Move-or-Raise" and "Resize-or-Lower".

OK.

> You asked for more details:
>
> The OS is Debian Linux testing (3.2.0-2 kernel) and stable (2.6.32).
>
> The fvwm versions for which this is reproducible are:
>   fvwm 2.5.30 compiled on May  5 2012 at 21:28:48
>   with support for: ReadLine, RPlay, Stroke, XPM, PNG, SVG, Shape,XShm,
>   SM, Bidi text, Xinerama, XRender, XCursor, XFT, NLS
>
>   fvwm 2.6.5 compiled on May 30 2012 at 19:30:38
>   with support for: ReadLine, XPM, PNG, SVG, Shape, XShm, SM, Xinerama,
>   XRender, XCursor, XFT, NLS

I only care for FVWM 2.6.X, and you should too.

> I worked around a part of the issue for windows for which I have set styles.
> My FvwmPager is configured to be unresizable and unmovable:
>
> Style "FvwmPager" Sticky, NoHandles, BorderWidth 1, !Iconifiable,
>   !Maximizable, FixedSize, FixedPosition, !Closable, !WindowListSkip
>
> In this case the Functions will not try to move/resize the Pager window
> anymore as they query for styles (here: FixedSize):
>
> DestroyFunc Resize-or-Lower
> AddToFunc Resize-or-Lower
>  + I ThisWindow (FixedSize) Focus

Eh?  That to me is a very odd thing to do, when:

>  + I TestRc (Match) Break

> However, neither for gedit nor for gnome there are any style entries
> configured in fvwmrc files. The application *itself* configures the
> preferences window to be unresizable by *not* setting
> _NET_WM_ACTION_RESIZE.

You *very* nearly lead me to a red herring.  As much as I like fish, be
careful.  Your "problem" has nothing to do with NetWm stuff at all.

> Please Let me know whether the issue is it reproducible on your side.
> I can still send the whole fvwm config if necessary.

It works just fine here.  No CPU problems at all.  So I suggest you send me
your config through and I'll take a look.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"Deep in my heart I wish I was wrong.  But deep in my heart I know I am
not." -- Morrissey ("Girl Least Likely To" -- off of Viva Hate.)