On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 12:33:14AM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 11:51:50PM +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> > I don't see any garbage at the moment.  But it's possible that
> > this only happens on the other box that does not have XRandR.  I'll
> > check that tomorrow.
>
> It seems I've never really explained the butchery that went on in
> swapping out Xinerama for XRandR and why I did that.
>
> Partly, the move was out of anger, and that Xinerama has been deprecated
> for ages.  In doing this, I tried to keep the behaviour of screens as
> best I could in fvwm.
>
> To that end, the changes I've done are this:
>
> - Each monitor reported by XRandR is a discrete entity from the other
>   monitor.  (i.e., unlike Xinerama, it's not one big screen divided into
>   n monitors)

Does that mean that each monitor have its own root window?  Can you
still place windows halfway between multiple monitors?

>     o Special geometry handling in the form:
>
>       100x100+100@0
>
>       Now had to s/0/$MONITOR_NAME
>
>       Where $MONITOR_NAME is either "global" / XRANDR_MONITOR_NAMES

Well, if we can still list all monitors in some consistent order,
it should be trivial to tanslate the old numbers to the new
monitor names.  The numbers are just predictable, guaranteed names.
In my config I have

  Read .fvwm2rc.$[screen]

and it would be very cumbersome to rename the config files every
time the names of the monitors change for some reason.

> On the plus-side, I've wanted this separation of monitors to desks for
> an eternity, and the above can be changed bit-by-bit along with
> everything else.

Fine with me for now.  Eventually, I guess the whole virtual
desktop layout needs to be rewritten some day.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--

Dominik Vogt