In the times of CVS we've pushed every dirty commit to the one CVS
branch we had, undoing things if need be.  Nowadays using Git I
feel really unconfortable doing this, not everything should be
pushed to the stable branch right away.

Although we do have topic branches with proposed changes now and
everybody could test them easily, I suspect there would be very
few people who would actually try out a topic branch.

A "devel" branch could come in handy.  When a feature is complete
or ready for reviews, the patches are placed on the devel branch
and then every ambitious user can try them out and report
problems.  The "devel" branch would receive the same automatic
testing as master, but can be rebased or rewritten at any time.

Releasing commits drom devel to master just means to do a fast
forward rebase of the master's tip to a commit on devel.

Of course, devel must never be rebased past the current master,
and merge commits on the devel branch should be avoided (so it can
be reabes without disrupting things).

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--