On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 01:05:23AM +0000, Thomas Adam wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 01:23:23AM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
> > "Copying" was a bad choice of words.  With fvwm3, what I would suggest is
> > taking the current fvwm2 repository (including all of its branches) and
> > making that the basis for fvwm3.  That way, we can change it however we
> > like.
> > We're then able to link fvwm2's repo in to easily backport changes using
> > standard git commands, etc.  It's something I'd be happy to run through if
> > that's required, or wanted.
>
> Controversially, I've gone ahead and created a fvwm3 repository [1].  It has
> been set up as fvwm2 was; the only difference is there's no tags.  The master
> branch is the same from fvwm2.
>
> I've aleady gone ahead and made fvwm3 rename key parts.  So for example, the
> binary is currently called 'fvwm3' and the share prefix installs to
> $PREFIX/share/fvwm3.

Why on earth do we have to repeat the mistake of the past by
putting the version number in the project name *again*?  Every
other project manages backwards incompatible releases just fine,
only fvwm changes its name with each major release.  This just
complicates things, and helps nobody.  That's what configure's
binary suffix is for.

> I'm not necessarily expecting this to remain as-is for
> too long, but it does mean that fvwm3 can be installed along side fvwm2.

> 1.  How do I port fixes from fvwm3 -> fvwm2?
>
> You can do this with remotes.  From fvwm3's POV:
>
>   git remote add fvwm2 g...@github.com:fvwmorg/fvwm.git
>   git fetch -n fvwm2
>   git checkout -t origin/fvwm2 fvwm2-master
>   git cherry-pick COMMIT1 COMMIT2
>   git push
>
> This will also handle file rename cases.  So for example, fvwm/fvwm3.c would
> map to fvwm/fvwm.c in fvwm2's repository, as git understands file renames.

In the past couple of years I haven't been contributing that much,
and I'm absolutely for having the sources in git.  But over the
recent years, I've tested the initiol fvwm git repo, then switched
to the mvwm repo, rewritten all the config files on various
machines to switch to mvwm, in the mean time backported fixes from
mvwm to fvwm (with some amount of merge conflicts), converted all
the icons to a different format because mvwm required that,
switched back to the fvwm repo, backported the parser branch to
the fvwm repo (very annoying), rewritten the config from mvwm to
fvwm yet again.  And I've got to rewrite it *again*, manage two
different configs and fiddle with two repos in parallel, just to
be able to install two versions in parallel, which is already
possible (and if not, this needs to be fixed anyway).

By the way, everybody else would call their versions fvwm-2 and
fvwm-3, and that's what I'll do, starting now.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--

Dominik Vogt