Hi,

I was told in #fvwm that the bugtracking system is quite out of use and
that I'd better report the bug again directly to the mailing list.

quote from bugtracking system:
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 08:51:23 -0500
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: fvwm broken properties on 64-bit hosts

Full_Name: Marc Lehmann
Version: 2.4, 2.5, current CVS
CVS_Date: 20050704
OS: GNU/Linux
X_Server: nvidia, xfree86/debian-unstable
Submission from: (NULL) (84.56.232.68)

On my 64 bit machines, many of the properties on the root window set by
fvwm2 are broken, for example:

_NET_DESKTOP_VIEWPORT(CARDINAL) = 0, 0, 0, 0, 8157808, 88, 4294959856,
4988053
_NET_WORKAREA(CARDINAL) = 0, 2880, 0, 2880, 0, 2880, 0, 2880, 0, 0, 0, 0,
0, 0, 1398480928, 540024925

etc.

The reason is that fvwm uses CARD32 in calls to X*Property, which is a 32
bit type. This works on 32-bit machines, where long has 32 bits, but on
64-bit machines, long has 64 bits and this breaks the property values.

Simply replacing CARD32 by long in ewmh*c and gnome.c fixes most of the
problems, but there might be other calls using CARD32 instea dof long.

long is the documented type for format==32, so this is wrong on 32 bit
hosts, too, even if it doesn't make an actual difference :)

Marc also has done a quick and dirty patch, that simply replaces all
occurences of CARD32 by long. This might not have fixed eveything but
works for me, as firefox, mozilla, etc open again their main windows.
(http://data.plan9.de/fvwm.64bit-fixes.diff)

Please CC us on reply as we're not subscribed to the list.

greets,
Johannes Kneer