On 21 Jul 01 at 19:36, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > The subject says it all -- if one presses keys when a shaded window is
> > focused, that app receives key events.
> >
> > Since shading is like iconifying (i.e. "minimizing" a space, occupied by a
> > window, to some "icon"), it is wise to prevent keys from going to shaded
> > windows.  Other WMs (at least AfterStep) do so.
>
> Yes, shading is like iconifying.  Fvwm treats shaded windows like
> iconified ones:  they both get keyboard input.  This can come in
> handy if you have to paste the same text into 20 windows.  This was
> a very conscious choice we made (okay: I made).  Where exactly is
> the problem?

    No, *iconified* windows don't get keyboard input.  Test it with e.g.
sample.fvwmrc/system.fvwm2rc.  The same happens with AnotherLevel.

    As to where is the problem...  It is a very unusual and un-intuitive
behaviour (IMHO, of course).  I can live with it, and can be even very happy
with it (your example with 20 windows seems reasonable).  But users get
confused.