Hello -

  Apparently Java's "AWT" widget stuff has a bad habit of taking over
  functions which are probably better left to the WM.  For example,
  allegedly it wants a way to figure out the width of the border
  which the WM added around it :-(  In 1999, the Enlightenment
  people had some discussion about this.  It's gone from their news
  page, but google still has it cached:

http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:MZArZ-4gVDU:www.deepsky.com/~e/news.html+AWT+window+position+resize+%22window+manager%22&hl=en

  [search for AWT] and the mail thread which led me there:

http://www.mail-archive.com/java-linux@java.blackdown.org/msg09689.html

  We run jdk-1.3.1.  Windows pop up in the wrong places under FVWM1,
  but the sizes are correct.  Under FVWM2, windows themselves, or
  sometimes the widgets within the windows, pop up as 0x0!  Then when
  you try to resize the window, they flip back to the right size.
  Needless to say, this is pretty unusable for most people.  I'm
  guessing Java is doing something non-standard, because FVWM2 has
  been working quite flawlessly with every other application.
  (Although, I did have a "search string not found" popup from
  netscape which also came up 0x0 size just once ... strange.)

  I've experimented with all of the *Transient options, BackingStore
  (which, by the way, causes the window to be blank most of the
  time!?), No/UsePPosition,No/UseTransientPPosition,No/UseUSPosition,
  No/UseTransientUSPosition, SkipMapping, etc.  Nothing helps.  Has
  anyone seen this before?  Some kind of hack Style which we could
  apply to "AWT*" in our .fvwm2rc's as a work-around could be useful.
  Reportedly, CDE, KDE, and Enlightenment now work (but Sun supposedly
  put a special hack into Java just for Enlightenment).  FVWM1 also
  kind of worked.  Do they do anything fundamentally differently
  from FVWM2?

  If this is a new problem, can someone give me some advice on how
  to capture a log of what the misbehaving windows are trying to do?

Be seeing you,

- Sidik