On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Stephane Rosa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm preparing an SGI package of fvwm and I have a couple issues
> with your implementation of Xinerama.
>
> SGI is currently developing the Xinerama library as per the
> latest spec (Actually SGI is even beyond the spec for certain
> things)
>
> It sounds like you're using an old spec. A couple differences :
>
> Bool XineramaActive() replaces char XineramaIsActive()
>
> XineramaScreenInfo *XineramaQueryScreens(disp, &count)
> along with the typedef struct are not in the spec anymore.
>
> An equivalent could be found by using XineramaGetScreenCount
> and XineramaGetScreenSize, but the very latest spec will show
> up a new function, XineramaGetData
>
> so... a couple questions:
>
> - how do we keep up on API spec changes (very often yet)

        All the Xinerama-API-related functionality is in
libs/FScreen.c::FScreenInit(), and what it really needs is a) a function
to check if Xinerama is present at all,  b) a way to get a list of screen
rectangles (viewports to global screen).  Since all APIs (except old
PanoramixNNN one) supply these, it is a matter of simple "configure"
script logic plus a few #ifdef's in FScreen.c (like

#if   defined(XINERAMA_API_XFREE86)
#elif defined(XINERAMA_API_XORG)
#endif

> - is anybody following this very close ?

        I'm the person who tries to track Xinerama API flavors.

> - I'll patch 2.4.2 for SGI use. Want the spec ?

        Yes, the spec is very welcome.  BTW, which spec is it?  There are
at least four APIs: 1) old PanoramixNNN; 2) XFree86's XineramaNNN (which
is the only API currently in use by WMs and toolkits); 3) Xinerama project
API
(http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/xinerama/xinerama/xc/doc/XineramaApi.txt?rev=1.2&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup);
4) X.org Xinerama task force product (which isn't published).  Probably #3
and #4 are related, but I'm not sure.