On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 05:02:11PM +0200, Fabien VILLARD wrote:
>       Hello all.
>
>       At last, a guy tried to play with fvwm 2.4.2 on OpenVMS.
>       The compilation stage had been very difficult, because the code changed
> a lot since my original port. He got it, though, but doesn't feel brave
> enough to try
> the executable today :-))))))))
>
>       My point is : he found a couple of things with the DEC CC compiler that
> I 'd like to
> tell you :
>

> Compiling [.FVWM]VIRTUAL.C...
>
>     val[2] = 1;
> ........^
> %CC-I-SUBSCRBOUNDS, In this statement, an array is being accessed outside the
> bounds specified for the array type.
> at line number 408 in file _ROWDIE$DKA100:[SCRATCH.FVWM.FVWM]VIRTUAL.C;1

Fixed.

> Compiling [.MODULES.FVWMICONBOX]ICONS.C...
>
>   item->icon_depth = depth;
> .....................^
> %CC-W-UNINIT1, The scalar variable "depth" is fetched but not initialized.
> And there may be other such fetches of this variable that have not been
> reported in this compilation.
> at line number 360 in file
> _ROWDIE$DKA100:[SCRATCH.FVWM.MODULES.FVWMICONBOX]ICONS.C;1
> Creating image [.MODULES.BIN]FVWMICONBOX.EXE...

Fixed.

>       Another one : it seems that FvwmBanner doesn't use the XPM macro
> defined by the configure stage, so it complains during compilation when
> xpm is not present.

That's already fixed in CVS.

>       I attach the description of the modifications he had to make
> in the build HOWTO I wrote 2 years ago. You may find some intresting
> things in it. Don't hesitate to ask for more information, but note
> that I can't access a VMS machine anymore, so I'll have to ask John to
> make the tests you'll need. Perhaps I'll be able to convince him to
> join your team as I did 2 years ago.

Uh, could you ask him to make a patch from these changes
("diff -u" if possible)?  It's very hard for me to make the right
adjustments with only free form sentences as a description.

> [...]
>
>     -   Ignoring the pointer mismatch and conversion warnings for now.
>
>     -         Closed comment on line previous to "#define USEDECOR 1" in
> config.h
>       that prevented the definition being made.
>       (Took some time to find this one.)
>
>     -   Changing "ECHO" to "XECHO", as done previously in the typedef.
>
>     -   Included:
>
>           #include <builtins.h>
>           #define alloca __ALLOCA
>
>       (There is also a version of alloca included in [.libs].  Not sure yet
>       whether to use or not.)
>
>     -   Added "#define SELECT_FD_SET_CAST" to config.h.
>
>     -   Removed local version of strcasecmp; Appears to be part of C RTL.
>
>     -   Removed local version of strerror; Appears to be part of C RTL.
>
>     -   Removed local version of strncasecmp; Appears to be part of C RTL.
>
>     -   Removed local version of usleep; Appears to be part of C RTL.
>
>     -   in [.libs]FVWMLIB.H, changed #include "Parse.h" to "libs/Parse.h".
>       Was getting confused with the parse.h in the fvwmbuttons module.
>
>     - Removed FvwmBanner module; appears too tied into XPM, which I don't
>         have.  (Does not use the HAVE_XPM flag.)
>
>     -   Removed "#include <sys/param.h>" in FVWMCPP.C; Could not find.
> Needed?
>
>     - In FvwmCpp: Replaced:
>
>       char *cpp_prog = FVWM_CPP;   with char *cpp_prog = "FVWM_CPP";
>
>         FVWM_CPP is not defined anywhere.
>
>     -   Removed FvwmGTK module.  Includes headers not available.
>       Don't understand what this is.
>
>     -   Removed #include <sys/param.h> from FVWMM4.C.
>
>     -   Removed #include <syslog.h> form FVWMWHARF.C
>
>     -   Removed local implementations of strdup and atexit, using library
>       versions.
>
>     -   Removed FvwmConsole:  Uses un.h; can't find on VMS.
>
>     -   Removed local gethostname function in favor of standard
> implementation.
>
>     -   Added definitions for gravity_translate_to_northwest_geometry_no_bw
>       and gravity_translate_to_northwest_geometry to avoid 31 char limit
>       in extern names (losing uniqueness). (Went ahead and added
>         abbreviations for all other very long names.)
>
>     -   Renamed "Scroll" function in module fvwmpager to "Pgr_Scroll" to
>       avoid conflict with DECC Scroll function.
>
>     - Replaced function name "Free" with "Icn_Free" in fvwmiconman module
>       to avoid conflict with std free function.
>
>     -   In link of fvwmbacker, need to include /include=picture after
>       [Libs]Libs.Olb/Lib to force inclusion of this module.  Otherwise
>       linker cannot resolve pvisual et al, possibly because this
>       module calls no procedures from thepicture module.
>
>     -   In FvwinWinlist, changed colorset to colorsetArr to avoid
>       linker confusion with Colorset, something entirely different.
>
>     -   Changed local declaration of "colorset" to "colorsetI" in
>       fvwmtaskbar.c, goodies.c, fvwmscroll.c and grabwindow.c to
>         avoid linker confusion with Colorset.
>
>     -   Replaced SendMsg with ScrSendMsg, and Wait with ScrWait in
>       fvwmscript modules to avoid linker confusion.

Dominik Vogt, email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20