On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Olivier Chapuis wrote:

> So nl_langinfo and iconv should not be used :o) but it does not
> seem that there are obvious (portable) replacement (XFree >=4.0.2
> has some Xutf8 functions, we may try to use if available).

        Please, please, please don't use Xutf8*() functions -- they are
absolutely unportable.  They were introduced due to the inadequacy (sp?)
of the current X locale model: only one locale at one moment, so Xutf8*()
are "current-locale"-independent.  But their unportability completely
outweighs their advantage.