This reply is from Dominik Vogt, because of mail system problems,
the reply has been re-posted by me:

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 07:38:36AM -0600, fvwm-bug wrote:
> FVWM Bug Tracking notification
>
> new message incoming/853
>
> Full_Name: Markus Schwarzenberg
> Version: 2.4.5.
> CVS_Date:
> OS: sunos 5.7
> X_Server:
> Submission from: (NULL) (153.96.96.2)
>

> after fvwm2 -restart  the FvwmWindow.flags.is_map_pending  bit
> sometimes seems not to be set properly.
> This causes the function Iconify(in icons.c) to return in:
>
>   if (IS_MAP_PENDING(tmp_win))
>   {
>     /* final state: iconified */
>     SET_ICONIFY_AFTER_MAP(tmp_win, 1);
>     return;
>   }
>
> This makes fvwm2 sometimes refractorily ignoring any Iconify and DeIconify
>
> actions (clicks) for windows which "survived" the restart in an iconified
> state.
> The bug is hard to reproduce (I have a very lengthy .fvwm2rc which
> I don't want to include here) and seems to be related to a FvwmIconBox
> running in my FvwmButtons.
>
> But here is a possible workaround (Beginning of Function Iconify(in
> icons.c)):
>
>   void Iconify(FvwmWindow *tmp_win, int def_x, int def_y)
>   {
>     FvwmWindow *t;
>     FvwmWindow *sf;
>     XWindowAttributes winattrs = {0};
>     unsigned long eventMask;
>
>     if(!tmp_win)
>       return;
>
>     if (!XGetWindowAttributes(dpy, tmp_win->w, &winattrs))
>     {
>       return;
>     }
>     eventMask = winattrs.your_event_mask;
>
>     /* correct is_map_pending if necessary ... */
>     if((winattrs.map_state == IsViewable) && IS_MAP_PENDING(tmp_win)) {
>       fprintf(stderr, "Window '%s':\nXGetWindowAttributes: IsViewable, but
> MAP_PENDING set ... resetting it!\n",
>       tmp_win ? tmp_win->name ? tmp_win->name : "NULL_name" : "NULL");
>       SET_MAP_PENDING(tmp_win, 0);
>     }
>
>     if (IS_MAP_PENDING(tmp_win))
>     {
>       /* final state: iconified */
>       SET_ICONIFY_AFTER_MAP(tmp_win, 1);
>       return;
>     }
>   #if 0
>     if (tmp_win == Scr.Hilite && HAS_CLICK_FOCUS(tmp_win) &&
> tmp_win->next)
>     {
>     SetFocusWindow(tmp_win->next, 1);
>     }
>   #endif
>
>     mark_transient_subtree(tmp_win, MARK_ALL_LAYERS, MARK_ALL, False,
> True);

> For me this completely seems to fix the bug. After the session restart
> I once see the fprintf-message for every affected window and then fvwm
> works OK again (of course the fprintf statement should be converted to
> some debug message...).

Can you please make a patch with the 'diff' command?

  $ diff -u icons.c.orig icons.c

or if you diff does not have the -u option:

  $ diff -c icons.c.orig icons.c

Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214             E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                       Phone: (732) 699-5570