On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 07:06:06PM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:

> This is because HAVE_FRIBIDI is not really used yet anywhere.
> Olivier, you may do it before me if you like. I am busy with perl now. :)

Ok, I will try to start. At least I will try to find out which
is the "canonical charset" used by a given font (this is needed
by iconv). But in fact it seems to me that it is difficult to
determine when the fribidi filter should be applied to a string.
Let us say that we use the capCTL encoding for the discussion
(caps string are right to left, so fribidi reverse caps string).
In a menu if the visual label should be ABCDE, if the user
enter the line
        addtomenu foo "EDCBA" exec exec xyz
in the config file, fribidi filter should be applied. But if the
user use a bidi editor (or enforce it) it will type:
        addtomenu foo "ABCDE" exec exec xyz
and no fribidi conversion should be applied.
There is a similar problem with window title: for a RTL encoding
in which direction bidi application will set the WM_NAME? IMHO
the application should give the name in the good direction and so
fribidi is not needed. Similar problems arise when the user gives
the window title name with via  command line.

So it seems to me that fribidi is useful only if the locale
charest is UTF-8 (or when the user specify an iso10646-1/UTF-8
font) as there is clear specification for bidi UTF-8 string.

Nadim, any opinion? As you ask for bidi support in fvwm can
you explain in some details where are the problem with fvwm
for a user which needs bidi.

Olivier