On 22 Jun 2002 16:25:27 -0600, Steve Talley wrote:

> One of the things I liked about MWM (CDE actually) was that the size
> of the icons could be limited/controlled.  In FVWM this isn't
> possible, short of specifying an icon image for each app.  The result
> is that people who use IconBox/IconGrid may have icons that are too
> big for the grid spot.  The FVWM man page mentions FVWM's inability to
> clip icons in this case.
>
> Another issue that is mildly bothersome is that the width of the icon
> title bar is determined by the width of the icon image.  So small
> icons result in a smaller area to click on.
>
> The attached patch addresses both of these issues.  It provides
> support for two new Style subcommands:
>
>     MinIconSize width height
>     MaxIconSize width height
>
> These allow you to limit/control the size of both user-provided and
> application-provided icon images.  Icon images that are smaller than
> MaxIconSize are clipped.  Icon images that are bigger than MinIconSize
> are padded.

Seems like a good patch. Some notes.

Is it possible to replace int with unsigned char? This will save
12 * 500 = 6Kb for me. Icon sizes bigger than 1/4 of screen are bad.

> Setting both MinIconSize and MaxIconSize to the same dimensions has
> the effect of enforcing a rigid size for the icon image.  For example:
>
>     Style * MaxIconSize 64 50
>     Style * MinIconSize 64 50

Since this is the main usage, is this possible to change the syntax to:

  Style * IconSize x y[, x2 y2]

where one pair means both min and max values?

Another optimization would be to say that size 0 is invalid so it may be
used to switch the feature off. Any of the following 3:

  Style * IconSize
  Style * IconSize 0 0
  Style * IconSize 0 0, 0 0

may disable the feature completely. It would be possible to only partialy
disable it (IconSize 0 0, 48 0). This should save another 4 bits and seems
more consistent than the logic in the patch that allows one integer in the
pair (I don't think this should be allowed as ambiguous, use 0 instead).

> This results in the same behavior as MWM/CDE.  See the attached
> before/after images to see the efect of the patch and the above
> settings.  The same IconBox/IconGrid settings are used in each case.
>
> Please take a look at the attached patch and let me know if there are
> any questions/suggestions/etc.  It is based on the latest CVS
> snapshot.

Regards,
Mikhael.