On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 02:10:06PM +0100, Rob Costello wrote:
> I ran gdb against the compiled version in my source tree.....  it was
> after doing a make install. I have now run gdb against the installed
> version with the same results.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] /root]# gdb /usr/local/bin/fvwm
> GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (5.1-0.7)
> GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you
> are
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> conditions.
> There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for
> details.
> This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux"...
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /usr/local/bin/fvwm

> 0x4000acd0 in ?? ()
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x4000acd0 in ?? ()
> #1  0x40002902 in ?? ()
> #2  0x4000f8f6 in ?? ()
> #3  0x40002332 in ?? ()
> #4  0x4000217f in ?? ()

That looks as if the SIGSEGV happens before fvwm is even started.
Please throw away the whole source tree, compile and install from
scratch and delete the core file.  If the problem persists, run
fvwm from gdb:

  $ gdb /usr/local/bin/fvwm
  (gdb) break main
  (gdb) run

If is doesn't reach the breakpoint, something must have gone very
wrong at compilation time.  If it does run into the breakpoint,
please single step throgh the code to find out where it crashes.

Dominik Vogt, mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED], phone: 0721/91374-382
Schlund + Partner AG, Erbprinzenstr. 4-12, D-76133 Karlsruhe