On 11 Jul 2002 11:30:23 +0200, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 11:24:35AM +0200, fvwm wrote:
> > > Maybe solid color blocks in colorset gradients should be placed
> > > depending on the gradient type?
> >
> > They are not really placed
>
> ... but stretched to their final size.

Yes, but maybe the algorithm of enlarging a gradient rectangle should be
different than just granulation.

> > > Placing them in a rectangular grid is only good for {H,V,S}Gradient.
> >
> > Not always.  In a window title, B and D gradients would look
> > almost exactly like HGradient if the lines were always drawn at
> > 45 degrees.  In rectangles with a more even aspect ratio (menus
> > for example), the old way looks a bit better.

Well, TitleStyle does this itself without colorsets, so it is impossible
currently to compare these 2 methods in titles.

Of course keeping only 45 degrees like in non-colorset gradients is bad.
Here is another formula for stretching DGradient that I had in mind
when wrote the original message, it is none of the existing two:

        get_color_index(x, y, size_x, size_y, colors_num)
        {
                (x / size_x + y / size_y) * colors_num / 2
        }

This should produce something like:

  11111....333
  111....3333: