On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 19:26, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> > When fvwm takes over from metacity, it seems to ignore the _NET_WM_DESKTOP
> > properties left behind by metacity. Worse, windows which are not on the
> > first desk sometimes get completely lost - they don't appear on any desk,
> > but switching back to metacity makes them reappear at the right position.
>
> Could you point me to the spec and the specific place that states
> how the _NET_WM_DESTOP property should be handled?  I'd assume the
> window manager is resposible of deleting this property from the
> client window and map all windows on all desks when it terminates.
> How else should the WM find out about windows that are not mapped
> when it starts and that are never mapped by the application?

Yes, the leaving WM is responsible for mapping all windows (actually I
think this is automatic as part of save-set handling). The CVS version
of the EWMH 1.2 draft (still not available online...) specifies that
the _NET_WM_DESKTOP and _NET_WM_STATE properties should be cleared upon
withdrawal of a window, but left in place in case of loosing ownership
of the manager selection, so that the next wm can pick them up.

Matthias