On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 02:16:32AM +0200, Andreas M. Kirchwitz wrote:
> Hi FVWM Workers!
>
> I installed version 2.4.10 of FVWM (on Linux 2.4.19, XFree86 4.1.0,
> Intel-based; basically a RedHat 7.2 system) and had mysterious
> troubles with menus. On my left mouse button, I have a menu on my
> root window which has sub-menus (which has sub-menus itself).
> Well, I think that's the typical configuration nearly all people
> have. ;-) Most of the menu entries come with small images, and
> the menu background is a pixmap.
>
> The MenuStyle seetings look like this (if this is of any help):
>
>   MenuStyle "*"   Win, Hilight3DThin, Animation
>   MenuStyle "*"   Font -*-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
>   MenuStyle "*"   Foreground White, Background #bb7070
>   MenuStyle "*"   Greyed SlateGrey, TitleUnderlines2, TrianglesRelief
>   MenuStyle "*"   VerticalItemSpacing 1 5, VerticalTitleSpacing 4 4
>   MenuStyle "*"   MenuFace TiledPixmap
> /usr/local/include/X11/pixmaps/texture2.xpm
>
> The problem now is that menu entries magically disappear and
> reappear while the menu (or a sub-menu) is open. I move the mouse
> through the entries, and magically some text entries disappear
> (like transparent text, only the background pixmap is seen). While
> moving the mouse through the entries, certain entries disappear
> and reappear (it's reproducible).
>
> I know, this may sound silly to you but I don't know of a better
> way to describe this.
>
> The problem is clearly related to the changes in "fvwm/menus.c"
> between version 2.4.9 and 2.4.10. If I replace the new file
> (from 2.4.10) with the old file (from 2.4.9) and recompile fvwm2,
> the menus work great.
>
> I can send you my .fvwm2rc file if that is of help to you, or I can
> try out things in "fvwm/menus.c" for debugging purposes. Whatever
> is of help to you to find out what the problem is ...

I can reproduce the problem and have already committed a fix.  I
won't a new release just for this problem immediately, though.  If
it bothers you too much, just downgrade to 2.4.9 and wait until
2.4.12 is released.  But you shouldn't stick with 2.4.10 as it has
a nasty core dump (fixed in 2.4.11).

Dominik Vogt, mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED], phone: 0721/91374-382
Schlund + Partner AG, Erbprinzenstr. 4-12, D-76133 Karlsruhe