On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 03:38:06PM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> The colorset enhancement may be calculating relief colors differently.
> Currently, we use sh and hi (that is evaluated from bg if not given) to
> do this. Such static colors produce bad results when used for gradient,
> image or transparent background with a large or medium range of colors.
>
> It would be better to have a boolean flag in colorset that switches off
> the use of the hi and sh in colorset and evaluates hi and lo using the
> internal algorithm based on the real-time bg pixel that should be
> converted to the relief.

What do you mean exactly?

"bg average" gives in general a good color with image and gradient
colorset. With Transparent average does not work, but it may be
implemented if the server support backing store (by taking a random
20x20 part of the root window and averaging on this part). Average
slow down colorset loading (~ *2 with an image).

> The problems are clear. This is slower and not
> very configurable. I wish the gtk color algorithm to be used in this case,
> not motif's, otherwise it will be not smooth for random gradient/image.
> Still regardless of problems, this should produce a much nicer result.
>
> As for configurability, I think it is good to extend the colorset to have
> a flag that chooses gtk-based or motif-based calculations. And hiFactor,
> shFactor that are used in gtk-based (and maybe in motif-based) algorithms.
> Probably these 3 values may be global for all colorsets to make it easier
> for the user to define them. Or we may add Colorset * syntax.

No Objection.

> ----
>
> One more issue to think about. Using numbers for colorsets is ok, but
> using symbolic names is better yet. Technically it may be implemented
> using one array (for numeric names) and one hash (for symbolic names).
> These array and hash have no any correlation. Anyone may choose either
> numeric or text id for colorset. Like:
>
>   Colorset CDE4 bla-bla
>   Colorset MENU1 bla-bla
>   Colorset MENU2 bla-bla
>
>   MenuStyle * MenuColorset MENU1, ActiveColorset MENU2
>
> Preprocessing may be a solution, but this is really not the same as the
> colorset library managing these ids itself.

No Objection. It will be good to have "private" colorset too.
A module may need to have a colorset for its own use only.

Olivier