I'm not sure if that changed in the last few days, but I remember
that Olivier said something about fixing the transparent colour
set problem in FvwmIconMan.  But now, I get transparent buttons
only if I use a transparent colour set for the whole icon manager
*and* for the buttons:

  Colorset 8 transparent
  *FvwmIconMan: Colorset 8
  *FvwmIconMan: PlainColorset 8

If I use a non-transparent colour set for either "Colorset" or
"PlainColorset", the colour set background is fitted into the
buttons.  So, at the moment transparent buttons are only possible
in a swallowed FvwmIconMan.  One invoked as a top level window
can be either completely transparent, showing the root window
background, or have colour set crammed into the buttons.

I think the problem here is that the buttons are not separate
windows.  Thus, they can not use the normal colour set background
drawing function.  A transparent button should simply not draw any
background on its own.