On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 09:41:52AM -0500, Dan Espen wrote:
> > Maybe using bit fileds isn't this clever at all.  Sure it saves
> > several hundred bytes per window, but we pay this with additional
> > code and slower execution.
>
> If I remember correctly, we checked the code generated by the compilers
> and bit field access generated code comparable to byte access.

But not when writing a bit.  To write a whole byte, the compiler
can just put the value into the byte.  But to write a single bit
in a bit filed structure a la

  struct
  {
    unsigned is_foo : 1;
    unsigned has_bar : 1;
  } flags;

It has to read the corresponding byte, set or delete the target
bit, then write it back.  At least if the assembler does not
support atomic bit operations.