On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 09:23:12PM +0200, Marcus Lundblad wrote:
> I was looking through some documentation on the web.
> The program Mutt has assigned some part of the private use area for
> contextual presentation forms and ligatures not present in
> "normal" Unicode.
> For example U+E600 to U+E6FF contains Arabic presentation forms not
> defined in the Unicode standard (as compatibility characters).
> This is mostly (as far as I can see) for charaters used in languages
> normally written in other scripts (Khazak,Uzbek etc.) and unusual forms.
> This range could easily be supported in FVWM by exending some lookup
> tables.
> I would also like to add support for Indic scripts (Mutt has defined some
> ligature ranges for those scripts also), but this will require some more
> research.
>
> So, what do you think, is it a good or bad idea to add the U+E600 range?
> This assumes the user has a font with the correct characters in this range
> (such as Mutt's "clearlyu"). Maybe this is an acceptable assumption (after
> all these Arabic characters is probably quite rare).

I do not know. I will prefer that fvwm respects the standard and it
seems strange to me to add support for one font (there is a lot of ttf
fonts which cover various part of the unicode).

Not also that we are in feature freeze. I will be very happy to see a
test/purify/text_rendering.fvwmrc. Say a big menu which may look like
(very informal):

CopyMenuStyle * fooxyz
MenuStyle fooxyz Font "a_fooxyz_font"

AddToMenu TestTextRendering "Test Text Rendering" Title
+ "Test Arabic font:foo, enc:xyz " Popup ArabicTestfooxyz

AddToMenu ArabicTestfooxyz "ArabicTestfooxyz" Title
+ "some more or less random string"
+ "some more or less random string"
+ ...

CopyMenuStyle * fooxyz
ChangeMenuStyle fooxyz ArabicTestfooxyz

Of course some part of this big menu may works only with
the good locale (and this may appear on the label of the menus).

Finally, I've noted the following problem with "hot key":

My locale is "fr_FR" and I want to display a menu with UTF-8
labels: I used

CopyMenuStyle * xdg
MenuStyle xdg Font "StringEncoding=UTF-8:xft:piselsize=10"
MenuStyle xdg AutomaticHotkeys

AddToMenu test "Test" Title
+ "Ãconomiseur d'écran" Exec xscreensaver-demo --crapplet

ChangeMenuStyle xdg test

So the label in iso-8859-15 is "Économiseur d'écran".
The Hot-key underline is too big: it is under  "Écon".

Regards, Olivier