On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 11:38:34AM -0500, Chris Ross wrote:

>   Hi.  I'm running a solaris 8 system, with the installed
> openwin X server, and fvwm-root is failing with a shared
> memory error on my machine.
>
>   I looked into it, and it's a error returned from shmget()
> somewhere in the X libraries.  The X error being displayed
> is:
>
> X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private
> resource denied)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  131 (MIT-SHM)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  1 (X_ShmAttach)
>   Serial number of failed request:  10
>
>   Looking at the system calls, it appears that shmget()
> is returning EINVAL when it's being called to create
> a 5+ MB memory segment.  In reading documentation,
> I see that the "system default" maximum size for shared
> memory is 1MB.  I realize my fvwm-root is trying to ask for
> a little over 5MB, but, doing some math, even a 1024x768
> screen at 16-bit pixmap-depth will produce an X Pixmap that
> is 1.5MB in size.
>
>   Perhaps there should be another way to load this?

Yes, definitely.  Relying exclusively on shared memory is a bad
thing, not only because some (all) implementations have limits on
the size of shared memory that can be allocated in one chunk, but
also because the total amount of shared memory is limited (usually
less than the total available memory on the system).

>  Is this just a solaris bogosity?  Can we interact with the
> MIT-SHM extension directly to check on things?

Ciao