Dominik Vogt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > >From docs/CONVENTIONS:
> >
> >  o Always place curly braces on a separate line.  In some cases,
> >    placing braces on the same line as other code confuses
> >    (x)emacs.
> >
> > Wouldn't it be prudent to fix Emacs?
>
> The question is:  who is going to do it?  I don't know how to fix
> it.  One case in which xemacs misbehaves is when you have such a
> function:
>
>   void foo(void) {
>   }
>
> If you press C-x 4 a to generate a ChangeLog entry, it does not
> find the function's name.

So thats why a few things I try to do in Emacs don't work.
The underlying brokenness is in "beginning-of-defun" which is
widely used, for example, by C-x 4 a.
Emacs often has to go back to the beginning of
the function to figure out what it is looking at.

The default pattern for beginning-of_defun is to just look for
"{" in the first column.  That can be overridden by setting
defun-prompt-regexp but my few attempts were failures.

I see this is a known issue, and after reading this:

http://w3.pppl.gov/info/ccmode/Performance_Issues.html

I'm pretty much convinced that the curly brace in column 1 for
functions is an Emacs requirement.

--
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]