On 11 Jul 2004 17:03:37 +0200, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 01:26:55AM -0500, fvwm-workers wrote:
> >
> > Log message:
> > Apply conditionals patch.
> >
> > Committed patch by Norman Yarvin (with a few minor mods) to extend
> > conditionals to handle multiple window names.
>
> Hm, I did not expect this to be committed with the option naming

I didn't expect this to be commited so shortly too, but so be it.

> issue unresolved, but so be it.  The current syntax is inaccepable
> because it is now impossible to use "$[w.name]" in a condition if
> the window has a '|' in its name.  It's already bad enough with
> '?' and '*', but I see no need to add new problems.
>
> Instead, a new option should be added, perhaps
>
>   Next (foobar "Netscape|Mozilla") foo
>
> that considers '|' to be special while the old syntax does not.

This still leaves the problem with '?' and '*'.

I think, the new condition option is not necessary.

Instead, some filters may be added to variable expansion. I.e.:

  $[w.name]             - expanded to: 'My %^&* window'
  $[w.name:dquote]      - expanded to: "My %^&* window"
  $[w.name:noquote]     - expanded to: My %^&* window
  $[w.name:glob]        - expanded to: 'My %^&\* window'
  $[w.name:menu]        - expanded to: 'My %%^&* window'

Regards,
Mikhael.