On 01 Sep 2004 11:36:02 -0400, Chris Ross wrote:

>   Hi.  The definition of smr_SWITCH (in both acinclude.m4
> and aclocal.m4) uses "m4_substr" and "m4_len", neither of
> which exist in any m4 I know about.  (The three on my
> Solaris 8 machine are /usr/ccs/bin/m4, /usr/xpg4/bin/m4,
> and GNU m4 1.4.)
>
>   Does this exist in some newer or more odd M4?  Shouldn't
> we just use "substr" and "len"?
>
>   The sign that this has failed is in the --help output of
> the generated configure.  It contains the macro calls,
> rather than the intended strings resulting from the
> macro.
>
>   Anyone know where these came from?  (And why there's
> ones in both aclocal.m4, and acinclude.m4?)

You need a more recent autoconf. This part is tricky, I know how to make
autoconf <= 2.13 happy and autoconf > 2.13 happy, but not both together.

If someone knows, feel free to fix this, but I don't think it worth
the effort. It only affects the --help output, and if the recent autoconf
is used to create releases, then the release will be ok.

Regards,
Mikhael.