As for window grouping, I think the concept goes beyond the idea
of stacks of paper.  It's also useful for windows to be bound as
adjacent for move and resize, as well as doing their raise,
lower, iconify, and desk-change collectively.

Playing with prototypes, I've found that one of the issues is
that it's not very friendly to ask people to repeatedly regroup
the same sorts of windows together for every instance.  I'm pretty
happy with specifiying grouping patterns by WM_NAME and various
other attributes like pid and client leader.  This way I can get
paned applications every time I launch them.

The other thing that I've been told is that people weren't too
keen on their windows being changed around, like with the idea of
browser tabs and shifted title bars.  Long ago, I toyed with a
tab/partition module, but the imposed ornamentation of connecting
edges and the tab bar weren't all that pleasing.

I tried drag&drop, as well as a sticky grab button, in that
partition module.  It was awkward.  I'm now using colored
buttons: red group, blue group, etc.  Click, click, click, no drag.
It's pretty easy to use and also lets you survey who is in
what group very quickly.

Using the new proxy prototype in production for a month or so, I'm
pretty satisfied delegating this functionality to the proxies.
There are no visible changes except when you toggle for them to appear.
I've added stacked-sheet behavior as an option to window groups.
That's nice for shells, but I don't really have much use for stacking
otherwise.  Vim does it pretty well internally with the minibufexpl
plugin and everything else is either spread out on its own desk or
served better by plain proxy functionality.  As for the auto-paning
functionality of window groups, I'm starting to use that all over
the place.  What did I ever do before?

--
  _
 ( \      _  \    /_ /  _ _  Jason Weber                  Glendale, CA