[ On Monday, February 25, 2008 at 17:39:53 (+0100), Jesús Guerrero wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: FVWM: fvwm patches and esperanza
>
> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 17:31:14 +0100
> Ingo Wardinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > [ On Monday, February 25, 2008 at 17:15:43 (+0100), Jesús Guerrero wrote: ]
> > > Subject: Re: FVWM: fvwm patches and esperanza
> > >
> > > On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:31:36 +0100
> > >
> > > Mmmm, I can't be sure, but I don't think that those patches can be
> > > applied without manually fixing some rejects. Those are the original
> > > patches, and were designed to be used against older fvwm versions.
> > >

> > Currently, there two sets of patches available at the above url, one
> > for 2.5.18 and the other 2.5.23. The author tested tohose against
> > 2.5.18 and 2.5.23, respectively. I took and applied the patches for
> > 2.5.23.
>
> Oh, I see. Sorry. I didn't know.
>
> > > I don't know what do you mean. Transparent colorsets on panels and
> > > the like were supported on .18 as well. If you are talking about the
> > > translucency patch for menus, you need that on .23 as well. That patch
> > > has never been integrated into fvwm. So, you need it anyway.
> >
> > I meant menutranslucency.
>
> You still need the patch. .23 has no additional support for translucency.

Yes I know. I downloaded the set of patches for .23 and applied it to
.23 and menutranslucency is working as expexted. This is not a
problem at all.

My initial guess was that these patches caused esperanza and then x to
crash. Now I think it is something in .23 which makes the cock up
(broadly speaking). Because, recent esperanza works with .18 _but_ the
same version _do not_ with .23 with and without the patches.

> > Okay, I will give it a try, but I'm afraid my ~/.xinitrc isn't read by
> > gdm.
>
> You need to boot on console. Usually this is achieved by booting on runlevel
> 3. If you are in X, you can shut down Xdm usually doing "init 3", which in
> turn
> will drive you to runlevel 3.
>
> After that, you can use startx to start an X session. And then, ~/.xinitrc
> should
> be read.

This may hold for xdm, I'm not sure about gdm I'll give it
go. Otherwise I have to switch to xdm.

cheers,
ingo