On Fri, 29 Feb 2008, Dan Espen wrote:

I'm running a fairly recent CVS version of Fvwm.
I use root window icons, many of them shaped,
some of them titled.

Recently, some of my icons started to show a 3d frame around them:

http://mysite.verizon.net/despen/icons.gif

The second from the top has a frame,
the third from the top doesn't.

They both use png's with a transparent area around them.

I think I like the effect.
What causes some of have the frame and other no frame?

That would be your Style settings. The effect comes from the Style IconBackgroundRelief in conjunction with IconBackgrouondColorset.

According to the manpage it is only drawn around icons with a background. I'm not sure why some icons are considered to have backgrounds, and some not. But if you use an IconBackgrouondColorset all icons will get the relief.

/Viktor