Incidentally, I am not a member of this list, so please reply to or copy to me in answering, thanks.

First, as to the mail problem: It obviously arises because I do not use web-based mail and find it abhorrent. Right now, I am logged in via an ssh session from my home computer to my office computer, which is a mail server, and over there I am running sendmail and using pine to do my mail business. However, the issue arose because

1. I prefer that mail from outside, especially from mailing lists, comes through the main university mail system, thus, @auburn.edu. One reason for this is that my office machine is otherwise a single point of failure in my mail service. If it went down (which occasionally happens even to the best of systems) then I would not get mail until it is fixed.

2. Mail is automatically forwarded (via smtp, not pop or imap) to banach.math.auburn.edu (my own office machine) and that is where I actually do all of my mail business.

3. I assumed that I need to register myself and would need a login and password. Nothing came up but a series of amazing questions that have nothing to do with my mail setup, at all and therefore in context were complete nonsense. So I killed all of that and sent a plain text message. Then I read again that I only have to send a "subscribe" message. Trusting people, you are. In this age, that was totally unsuspected and thus was another thing that threw me off stride.

The problem concerns permissions or transfer of key mappings in X. Specifically, if I start up X with fvwm2 as my preferred window manager and open an xterm as a user, then everything is fine. If I then at the command line in the xterm type the command "su" and provide the root password, then not everything works the same. The problem shows up in particular if I run Midnight Commander in the xterm. In that case the Alt key does something different.

As you probably know, there are a lot of shortcut keystrokes in Midnight Commander. For example Alt-s will allow a downward directory search in a panel in MC. And Alt-Enter will bring down a filename to the command line which is below the two panels. Now, as I said, these key combinations work perfectly well in the xterm if one is the user who started the X session. But if one has done the su command to do some things as root inside of the same window, then Alt-s for example prints a Hungarian-style accented o (sorry, not reproducible here) on the command line instead of doing what it is supposed to do. Also, it seems that the things which the Alt key should be doing inside of MC get mapped over to the Cntrl key instead. Thus, Alt-s -> Cntrl-s seems to work, and Alt-Enter -> Cntrl-Enter does seem to work, too. This is an annoying transformation, of course, but worse than that is, it also disables some of the key combinations which work with the Alt key because those Cntrl-(same key) can mean something entirely different and that meaning is the one which gets used instead.

More details, based upon further experiments:

The same problem occurs if one starts up an unadorned X with just the one window in the upper left.

The same problem occurs if I start fvwm2 and then switch over to KDE (I do not know if you have configured the shutdown menu to do that, but I have done so locally, quite some time ago in addition to the default menu choices which used to come with fvwm2).

The same problem does *not* occur if one starts KDE from the command line. Namely, what happens then is I start KDE, open a window, and all is good. Then I do su in the window, enter the root password, get a root shell, and type mc. Then all is still good and the keys are performing as they should.

My system? I am running Slackware-current which is at this moment equal to Slackware 12.1, with a lot of locally installed software. The fvwm is version 2.4.20, and the X stuff is something like 7.2.x IIRC.

Now, the above sequence indicates that what may be happening is a bug in X. So I do not say that ipso facto this is a bug in fwwm2. That would depend to some extent on what the X people think about this, I would guess. They might believe that what they have done is not a bug but a feature, for example. I have no way to know. Either way that would come out, is this problem a previously known problem, or not?

Also it seems that somehow kde has avoided this glitch somehow even though it is present at the lower level, somehow, in the X server and its permissions, its keymaps, or whatever. And fvwm2 seems at this point not to have avoided the problem, perhaps because nobody else tries to do things the way that I do in my normal course of work and thus the problem did not even come up for those individuals.

If you think this problem is cured in 2.4.25, I am glad to try it. But I bet it is not. The problem is as I said one of those weird problems that I bet nobody was thinking of. Unless the X people were thinking that they were closing some kind of security hole, or something. So nobody over here is particularly mad or upset. But it sure would be nice if the problem could be tracked down.

Theodore Kilgore