Jesús J. Guerrero Botella <jesus.guerrero.bote...@gmail.com> writes:

> I have been looking around and found that each desktop installs its
> own menu file in there, but there's no "generic/ballback"
> applications.menu file that WMs like fvwm can use. So, can you give me
> an overview on how *your* distro of choice handles this? Is there a
> generic "xdg-menu" package or is the file generated using some script
> of those available on the net?
>
> Even if you parse all the file in /etc/xdg/menus/ that doesn't solve
> the problem in Gentoo from the root, because you need kde, lxde, gnome
> or whatever else installed to get an xdg menu file. So, as I see it,
> there are two posibilities if we want xdg menu support in fvwm: either
> ship an fvwm-applications.menu file or fix it in the Gentoo side by
> adding the file in a new package, and making fvwm depend on it.
>
> So, what do you think?

See my other post.

A distribution should either:

create an applications.menu
OR
export an XDG_MENU_PREFIX.

That's if they want to support xdg_menus.

You can easily to this stuff yourself, but I'd say it should be done
at the distro level.

I don't think Fvwm should try to get into the root menu business,
but we probably should create some .desktop/.menu files if we want
Fvwm stuff to appear in the standard menus.