On 12 March 2012 17:47, Roman Grazhdan <ro...@cloudcabin.org> wrote:
> It's about FvwmPiazza again. At cruncbanglinux forums Thomas kindly
> proposed to use
>
> ModulePath +:$./modules
>
> instead of
>
> ModulePath /usr/lib/fvwm/2.6.4:$[FVWM_USERDIR]/modules
>
> which looks pretty sane to me, the latter depends on fvwm version and is
> anyway redundant.

The point was for "+" to be used -- nothing more.  In the case of your
adding "/usr/lib/fvwm/2.6.4" there, that's already come from the
built-in value FVWM will have assigned at compilation anyway [1].

As far as "$." versus "$[FVWM_USERDIR]", the point wasn't for me to
have removed it -- rather that I didn't remember your example when I
was correcting your "+" mistake, just that I knew "modules/" was in
there somewhere.

Note that setting ModulePath is potentially still a bad thing to do,
when the Module command already takes an absolute file name as means
of opening a module.

> But using the better variant does not work for me - module doesn't start
> and here's what I get when I start it manually with FvwmConsole:
>
> [fvwm][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module 'FvwmPiazza' in
> ModulePath '/usr/lib/fvwm/2.6.4:'/home/tartan/.fvwm'/modules'
>
> What did I do wrong here? Another user from the same thread has
> everything working just fine, I went back to what I had before Thomas'
> correction.

I'm going to commit a fix to CVS to correct this quoting problem.
There is one, at it happens when FVWM expands its variables.  In
certain other contexts it makes sense.  In this one, it does not, and
I know there's been talk at the expansion code learning syntactic
sugar for this -- but until then, I'll band-aid the thing.

-- Thomas Adam

[1]  This point about "+" used after your additions is a nice idea,
but ultimately incorrect for any proper use of ordering.  You
shouldn't be writing modules of the same name as the ones FVWM ship,
only to then rely on the search order of what's in the ModulePath.
That way leads to fail, and anyone doing that now will get bitten on
the arse if it ever changes.  So don't do it.