I have tried to use the gnome and kde window managers. But they
both had issues with getting just the window settings that I was
used having. I tried both gnome and kde. It seem that they both
spent more effort on making the window look spiffy and not
so much time on use-ability.

Then I ran across fvwm2 and gave it a try and it was great. I was
familiar with it from my Solairs days.

I installed it using yum and was having a grand time configuring
the xterm and the pager. I had much better luck with the xterm
than the pager.

Some where things went bad and I was unable to set the background
and the "date & time" tool any more. I can bring the tool up but I
can not unlock the tool.

I moved the original   .fvwm2rc bake into place and moved
~.Xdefaults and .Xresources out of the way.

I still can not unlock the "date and time" tool. The error in
~/.xsession-errors is :

(gnome-control-center:2202): Gtk-WARNING **: Error acquiring \
permission: Failed to acquire permission for action-id \
org.gnome.controlcenter.datetime.configure

Any help would be appreciated. I am running fedora 17:

Linux sunup 3.6.1-1.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Oct 10 \
12:13:05 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The is a new system and could be rebuilt from scratch if needed.

Roger